Since Azerbaijan historically was the birthplace of oil production, processing on an industrial scale and the production of lubricating oils, the development and production of additives in the former Soviet Union were carried out for the first time in our republic.
The first additives in the former USSR improving the quality of lubricating oils were developed thanks to fruitful team work of specialized laboratory during many years, established in 1945 in Azerbaijan Scientific Research Institute named after Kuibyshev, headed by academician A.M.Guliyev. The fundamental and applied studies carried out by this team became the basis for creation and the industrial production of the efficient additives in the USSR.
Depressor АзНИИ lowering the pour point of lubricating oils, detergent-dispersive additives АзНИИ-4, АзНИИ-5 and АзНИИ-6 and multifunctional alkylphenol additive АзНИИ- СИАТИМ-1 are the first additives created in the former USSR, the manufacture of which was organized.
A.M.Guliyev and his co-workers in 1948 were awarded the USSR State Prize for the creation of the additive “АзНИИ depressatoru” and its application in industry.
A.M.Guliyev and et al in 1950 for the second time were awarded the USSR State Prize for the development of the technology for the production of the АзНИИ-4 additive and its application in industry.
Taking into account the importance of the problem and the progress made according to the leading scientists’ recommendation in 1965 on the basis of this laboratory in the Academy of Sciences of Azerbaijan for the first time in the country there was created profiled Institute of Chemistry of Additives (ICA).
Academician A.M.Guliyev was a founder, organizer and permanent director of the Institute till 1987. Since 1987 the Institute has been headed by one of the disciples of acad.A.M.Guliyev doctor of chemical sciences, professor, academician V.M.Farzaliyev.